Laser skin resurfacing can be an effective treatment for restoring a more youthful complexion with fewer blemishes and signs of aging. This non-invasive cosmetic procedure uses laser energy targeted at your skin to remove damaged skin cells, stimulate collagen production and promote skin regeneration. If you’ve been searching for a way to achieve smoother, younger-looking skin with little to no downtime or discomfort, this treatment may be ideal for you. Before you go in for a resurfacing treatment, it’s essential to understand what the treatment involves and prepare your skin to avoid irritation and achieve the most effective skin transformation.
What Skin Concerns Can Laser Resurfacing Treat?
Laser resurfacing is highly effective in addressing a wide range of skin concerns, and it is suitable for most skin types. While many of these concerns tend to be on the face, laser resurfacing can be performed on nearly any area of your face and body. The most common skin concerns treated with laser resurfacing include:
- Fine lines
- Dark spots (age spots)
- Acne and acne scars
- Rosacea and redness
- Broken capillaries
- Stretch marks
Types of Laser Skin Resurfacing
At the Vein & Cosmetic Center of Tampa Bay, we offer several types of laser skin resurfacing with multiple laser devices. These include:
- CO2 fractional lasers
- Erbium lasers
- Radiofrequency lasers
- Intense pulsed light (IPL) devices
- Nd:YAG lasers
Our medical and aesthetic professionals have extensive experience and knowledge to help you choose the ideal laser resurfacing treatment for your unique skin needs. However, no matter the type of laser skin resurfacing you’re considering, proper preparation is crucial to ensure the best results and minimize any potential complications.
What to Do Before Laser Skin Resurfacing:
- Do consult with a qualified aesthetic provider with specialized training and experience in laser skin resurfacing. They will evaluate your skin type and condition to ensure you’re a good candidate and determine the best laser treatment for you.
- Do use sunscreen daily and avoid sun exposure for at least one week leading up to your treatment. It's essential to protect your skin from harmful UV rays and prevent any skin damage that can affect your results.
- Do prepare for some downtime. You’ll need to avoid strenuous exercise, saunas and hot tubs for 24 hours. Depending on the type of laser treatment undergone, you may experience redness, swelling and peeling. Plan accordingly and avoid any events or activities that require you to be in the sun or wear makeup for a few days.
- Do stay hydrated and eat a healthy diet to promote skin healing.
- Do follow all of the specific instructions your provider gives you to prepare for your treatment. They may have personalized instructions based on your skin type or aesthetic concerns.
What NOT to Do Before Laser Skin Resurfacing:
- Don't get a tan or use self-tanning products. Any skin color changes can affect the laser's effectiveness and increase the risk of complications.
- Don’t use harsh exfoliants, retinol or acids that can irritate your skin for at least one week prior to your resurfacing treatment.
- Don’t try any new skincare products in the week leading up to your treatment in case your skin has an adverse reaction.
- Don't wax or use hair removal creams on the treatment area. Waxing can irritate your skin and is a type of exfoliation.
- Don't smoke or use tobacco products. Smoking can delay healing and increase the risk of infection and scarring.
- Don't take any blood-thinning medications or supplements like aspirin, ibuprofen or vitamin E. They can increase the risk of bleeding and bruising.
- Don't apply any makeup before coming to the office for your procedure. Your skin needs to be clean and free of any makeup products to ensure the laser can penetrate your skin effectively.
By following the dos and don'ts outlined above, you can prepare for your procedure and be on your way to achieving the beautiful, glowing skin you've always wanted.If you have any questions or concerns about how to prepare for laser skin resurfacing, our team at the Vein & Cosmetic Center of Tampa Bay is here to help. We can provide recommendations and guidance to help you be mentally and physically ready for your procedure and achieve the results you desire.
Learn More About Laser Skin Rejuvenation in Tampa Bay
Jeffrey A. Hunt, DO, RVS, RVPI, is the Medical Director of Vein & Cosmetic Center of Tampa Bay, and he specializes in medical esthetics and treating venous disease. He and his team are dedicated to providing the highest level of personalized and compassionate care, and they can help you achieve the radiant skin you deserve.To schedule your consultation for laser skin resurfacing and start your journey to healthier, more beautiful skin, give us a call at (813) 327-4646 or fill out our online contact form.