Although we at the Vein & Cosmetic Center of Tampa Bay are more than happy to answer any questions you may have, we have noticed many people have similar questions. For your convenience, we have compiled the following list of frequently asked questions.
The questions below cover most of our cosmetic procedures, ranging from vein removal to acne treatment. If you have additional queries or concerns, contact our Tampa, Florida office and arrange a free consultation with Jeffrey A. Hunt D.O., R.V.S., R.V.P.I.
Vein Treatment FAQs
- What are spider veins?
- What are varicose veins?
- What are the benefits of sclerotherapy treatment?
- Is sclerotherapy painful?
- After vein treatment, when will I be able to return to normal activities?
- What is the preferred way to treat varicose veins?
- What is another way to treat varicose veins?
- How many treatments are usually required and how far apart must they be?
- How long do results last?
- How does sclerotherapy treatment for spider veins work?
- Do we offer any other treatments for spider veins of the legs?
- How many treatments are required and how far apart?
- What is Ultherapy?
- What can I expect from results?
- How does it work?
- What does it feel like?
- How long does the treatment take?
- What is the downtime?
- Am I a good candidate?
- When will I see results?
Cosmetic Treatment FAQs
- Which procedures require numbing and how long do you numb for each?
- Is laser skin resurfacing right for me?
- What are the benefits of laser skin resurfacing?
- How many visits are required for these resurfacing treatments?
- What are the key differences between your cosmetic fillers?
- What is BOTOX® Cosmetic, what does it do, and how long do results typically last?
- What is Acoustic Wave Therapy™?
- What exactly is cellulite?
- What is Blu-U® acne treatment?
- What is BroadBand Light (BBL™) therapy?
- What does BBL™ skin rejuvenation treat?
Vein Treatment FAQs
What are spider veins?
Spider veins are bundles of small red or blue veins near the surface of the skin. Spider veins are an uncomfortable condition found in millions of adult women.
What are varicose veins?
What are the benefits of sclerotherapy treatment?
Sclerotherapy is an effective, non-surgical treatment for unsightly spider and varicose veins. Surgical vein stripping often requires hospitalization and weeks of recovery. In contrast, sclerotherapy patients are encouraged to return to their normal activities immediately after treatment.
Is sclerotherapy painful?
Generally patients report little to no pain. There may be a slight warming or stinging sensation, which quickly dissipates. For this reason, anesthesia is rarely required.
After vein treatment, when can I return to normal activities?
Although recovery from vein treatment varies from patient to patient, there typically is no downtime. Patients can resume normal activities almost immediately. Minor bruising or swelling may occur, but should gradually fade within a week or two.
What is the preferred way to treat varicose veins?
A preferred way to treat varicose veins is to do Endolaser™ for the large saphenous trunks with the new CoolTouch™ device and to inject the rest of the varicose branches with ultrasound-guided foam sclerotherapy.
What is another way to treat varicose veins?
The old traditional inversion pin stripping is still being performed as well as phlebectomy where they remove small portions of the veins and ligations where they tie the trunks off. The newer Endolaser™ and ultrasound-guided sclerotherapy procedures are much less invasive, more complete, and require no downtime.
How many treatments are usually required and how far apart must they be?
Treatments for varicose veins are usually done one to two times per week. Most cases can be completed in one month. We then do four follow-up exams over the a 12-month period to endure results.
How long do the results last?
Saphenous veins and primary varicose veins do not reoccur although it is still possible at sometime in the future to develop another varicose branch from the deep system.
How does sclerotherapy treatment for spider veins work?
Sclerotherapy involves placing a tiny needle with a mild soap solution into the affected spider veins. The spider veins then gradually absorb and disappear.
Do we offer any other treatments for spider veins on the legs?
Yes. For resistant red vessels, we will often use lasers, although the best treatment for most of the veins still remains injection sclerotherapy.
How many treatments are required and how far apart?
Spider vein treatments are usually done at least three weeks apart and most people require three to four treatments. For more information about our spider vein treatments or about our cosmetic options, including acne treatment, contact our Florida practice.
What is Ultherapy?
Ultherapy is a NEW FDA approved, non-surgical, non-invasive procedure that uses High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) to safely firm, tighten and actually lift skin tissue without disrupting the surface of the skin. Ultherapy is the only device that goes beyond the dermis to target the superficial muscle layer.
What can I expect from results?
- See a Higher Brow
- See a Tighter Neck
- See a Lift Under the Chin
How does it work?
Focused ultrasound energy is delivered non-invasively and heats deep tissue. This causes a natural, regenerative response. After Ultherapy, weak collagen is reorganized and strengthened by the growth of new collagen, which tightens and lifts the skin.
What does it feel like?
There can be some discomfort while energy is being delivered, but it is temporary and a signal that the collagen-building process has been initiated
How long does the treatment take?
Full face can take 60-90 minutes. The full face treatment will give your overall appearance the best result as it will lift the skin from all areas. Smaller treatment areas can take 45-60 mins to perform. We will be able to advise you of treatment times specific to your treatment at your FREE consultation.
What is the downtime?
No recuperation and no interruption of daily routine. You may return to normal activities immediately. Any flushing or redness should resolve within a few hours. It is not uncommon for there to be some swelling for a few days following the procedure but these are mild and temporary in nature.
Am I a good candidate?
Ideal candidates are men and women with mild to moderate skin laxity ie// sagging under the chin, loss of jawline, appearance of jowls, downturned mouth, hooding on the eyelids. We will always assess your specific concerns to determine if you are a good candidate prior to treatment in a FREE consultation
When will I see results?
Just as it takes time for muscle to build, the effects of Ultherapy build gradually and full benefits are evident after 60-90 days following treatment.
Cosmetic Treatment FAQs
Which procedures require numbing and how long do you numb for each?
- ResurFX® Laser Skin Resurfacing – One hour
- Cosmetic Fillers and Injectables – 20-30 minutes
- Photofacial™ – (numbing cream is optional)
Is laser skin resurfacing right for me?
Laser skin resurfacing may be appropriate for patients seeking treatment for discoloration, wrinkles, sun damage, acne marks, or other types of imperfections in skin appearance. Individuals with severe scarring may need to use additional scar revision techniques.
What are the benefits of laser skin resurfacing?
By removing dead, unhealthy skin and exposing a softer and younger-looking complexion, laser skin resurfacing treatments have proven to be an effective method of reversing sun damage and other tell-tale signs of aging. With laser skin resurfacing, Jeffrey A. Hunt D.O., R.V.S., R.V.P.I. can reduce facial wrinkles and fine lines, as well as correct scars and skin irregularities. Laser skin resurfacing may also reduce the appearance of acne scars, uneven pigmentation, and many other skin imperfections.
How many visits are required for these resurfacing treatments?
- ResurFX® Laser Skin Resurfacing – ResurFX® usually requires four treatments, performed two to three weeks apart.
- Harmony® Pixel Laser Skin Resurfacing – Harmony® usually requires four treatments, performed two to three weeks apart.
What are the key differences between your cosmetic fillers?
- Juvéderm™ is a temporary filler that lasts up to one year per FDA. It can be used anywhere in the face, however its mostly used for nasolabial folds and the lips.
- Restylane® is a temporary filler that is primarily used for nasolabial folds and the lips. Results last ten to twelve months.
- Radiesse® can be used to correct smile lines, nasolabial folds, depressed cheeks and wrinkles around the nose and mouth. It typically lasts twelve to eighteen months.
- Sculptra™ is used as a volume filler throughout the face. It can be used to enhance cheekbones or for nasolabial folds. It usually requires three treatments spaced approximately five weeks apart. Since Sculptra™ builds up your own collagen, it lasts for several years.
- Juvéderm VOLUMA™ XC uses patented Vycross technology to add natural lift and volume to the cheek area for a younger, more refreshed look. Results can be seen immediately, and last for 18-24 months with optimal treatment.
- Restylane® Lyft is similar to Restylane®, but has a thicker consistency, allowing it to address deeper and more stubborn facial wrinkles more effectively. Patients generally maintain results for approximately 10-12 months.
What is BOTOX® Cosmetic, what does it do, and how long do results typically last?
BOTOX® Cosmetic relaxes facial muscles causing wrinkles and lines to disappear. The results typically last three to four months, although with repeated treatments, many areas last longer than this.
What is Acoustic Wave Therapy™?
Acoustic Wave Therapy™ utilizes sound waves to disrupt the tiny adhesions that cause the dimpled appearance of cellulite. It is very well tolerated and fast. Most people do six treatments done twice a week for three weeks. Final results are not seen until six weeks after the last treatment, however, most people will begin noticing improvement in their cellulite after approximately three or four treatments. How long results is partly going to depend on genetics, activity, and diet of the patient.
What exactly is cellulite?
Cellulite describes the dimpling of skin, typically on thighs, hips, and buttocks, caused by the protrusion of fat into the dermis. Almost 90 percent of all women develop cellulite at some point.
What is Blu-U® acne treatment?
Blu-U® is an effective, completely painless acne treatment used at our Tampa, Florida practice to treat patients with acne. This common and frustrating disorder will usually go away with time. However, persistent acne may require acne treatment or topical treatments and chemical peels.
If you suffer from severe acne or acne scarring, Jeffrey A. Hunt D.O., R.V.S., R.V.P.I. can identify the best acne treatment for your case. To schedule a acne treatment consultation, contact our office in Tampa, Florida.
What is BroadBand Light (BBL™) therapy?
BroadBand Light (BBL™) therapy is an advanced treatment used to correct an array of facial skin disorders. BBL™ utilizes pulses of high-intensity light (not lasers) to improve the skin’s appearance.
What does BBL™ skin rejuvenation treat?
BroadBand Light photo facials are the treatment of choice for aging skin, acne, redness, vascularity, and pigmentation concerns. BBL™ treats a variety of skin conditions such as photo-aging (sunspots, freckles, melasma) and facial vascularity. BBL™ also can treat birthmarks like port-wine stains.
Contact the Vein & Cosmetic Center of Tampa Bay
We offer effective, non-surgical vein removal, as well as skin rejuvenation, pigmentation correction, and acne treatments to patients at our Tampa, Florida practice. Visit our patient gallery to view some of these fantastic transformations. If you would like to schedule a consultation with Jeffrey A. Hunt D.O., R.V.S., R.V.P.I. and find out which vascular or cosmetic treatments are right for you, contact the Vein & Cosmetic Center of Tampa Bay. We will be happy to answer any additional questions you may have.